Friday, July 10, 2009

Cruel Intentions

Yes, definitely.

Although that's not what "they" say. Who are they? The mass retail chains in the U.S.

And what are "they" talking about?

ClOtHiNg SiZe LaBeLs!!!!

Here is a little excerpt from an article "As nation gains, 'overweight' is Relative" I read on CNN.com about America's weight problem.

That's why, in recent years, as the American population has become
generally more overweight, brands from the luxury names to the mass retail
chains have scaled down the size labels on their clothing.
"You may actually be a size 14 and, according to whatever particular store you're in, you come out a size 10," said Natalie Nixon, associate professor of fashion industry
management at Philadelphia University. "It's definitely to make the consumer
feel good."




Feel GOOD???? Are "THEY" CRAZY????

Yes, I think "THEY" ARE!

That is so CRUEL.

I have been obsessed with my weight since college. For the first time I will admit that I have been known to weigh myself several times a day. I will even "trick" myself into thinking I am heavier by moving the scale up 10lbs (okay, I never said I was sane and no I'm not bulimic or anorexic--trust me on that one).

Do "they" have any idea what this has done to me? Do they really?

I always liked the fact that I could go and put on a size 8 or even 6 pant and think, "Okay, I'm fine with that".

But now, am I really???

NO, because now I'm thinking...that's really a 12 or a 10! What trickery. Just to make me "feel good".

SURE, RIGHT.

I'm BUYING IT. And "they" are happy aren't "they" because really that's what "they" want---"me to BUY it". They don't care if I "feel good". Marketing was my minor in college. The real story here is that consumers will try on a pair of pants and think, "WOW, these are an 8". I've never been an 8, maybe I'll buy another pair."

Stop the insanity! If you want me to really feel good, don't let me think I'm skinnier than I really am. That will just make it worse for me and my health. Instead of thinking I need to exercise. I'm gonna tell myself, "You're fine. You still fit in that size 8".

DECEIT. LIES. CRUELTY. Well, guess what? I'm not buying it! So, thanks, but no thanks! It's a cruel, cruel world.


***Before you go and think you need to call my husband, R.S. President, bishop, a shrink, or start praying for me (well scratch the last one, I could always use prayers) on my behalf, don't worry, this was a little tongue in cheek, but I do think it is a disservice to the American public.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Well thanks for spoiling it for me, Andrea! JK=)

I too have been obsessed with my weight over the years. When you're a chubby kid the feeling never goes away no matter how old or skinny you get. But, I really don't think it matters what size you wear. It is how you feel in your body and in your clothes. If I wear an 8 but a 10 looks better on me then I should get the 10. Do you know what I mean? Along with lying about the sizes "they" parade 15 year old anorexic girls in front of me and tell me that is what I should look like. Maybe we can start some kind of rebellion or something. It is sad that I have bought into this over the years – really sad.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. It's down-right mean and sneaky. Sadly, the ulterior motive fools the vast majority of American consumers.

Sizes are a relative number, but we've become an unber-conscience society about weight. Somehow in the twisted psychology of materialism, consumers' guage their self-worth based on a dress or pants size.

Word to the wise: Don't play these silly mind games! Rise above the stupidity of the designer masterminds in New York and Milan. Be happy with yourself regardless of what a tag says about you!

Alabama Apples said...

Well...they make me all too happy. Yes, tell me I'm a size or two smaller. I'll believe them until I got to the thrift store and pull out a vintage skirt in the same size and try to squeeze it over my not-too-firm rear. Then, my world comes crashing back to reality.

But really, if you are comfortable in the skin you're in, it doesn't really matter size.

Nutty Newburns said...

Hey Girl you are slacking
It has been 6 months since your last post.
I know you have alot to say.
We miss your post.
C ya
Love
The Newburns
Dewayne Carly
Dylan & Parker